Saturday, October 12, 2019

Musing #96 - Fall is Here, Y'all

Hello all! What's up with the title of this post? Well, I know that autumn officially started some time ago, but summer still seemed to have a grip on the weather. One day last week was especially hot and humid. But now . . . *breathes in deep* I can finally feel the change. The leaves are continuing to turn beautiful shades of deep-red and yellow, and the wind sends them swirling to the ground to later be picked up and examined by eager little children - like my own siblings. *grin* Many leaves have such beautiful patterns - streaks of green mixed in with blobs of red, orange, and yellow. Quite a few have such a fun crispy texture that make for something crunchy to tromp on as you walk. ;-)
Then there's the air, crisp and light, the beams of the sun trying to pierce through the cold. I've had to shrug into a jacket a couple of times this week before taking my walks, but overall the weather is pleasant, like it's wavering between sticking with summer or plunging into autumn. 
And my family and I have already begun our fall-time activities! Yesterday we once again drove to a local farm and picked up a whole bunch of rosy round apples so Mom can make her luscious fresh apple butter. Then, this morning, it was shoe-shopping time. My sibs enjoyed themselves as they picked out shoes, tried them on, and put them back till they finally settled on just the right pair. (My one-year-old sister was very excited over her pretty-pink tennis shoes!) Lord willing, this time next year we'll have little Ruby Jane along with us so she, too, can get a pair of boots. There's something about being in a shoe-shop with your siblings that just sends a thrill through your heart. ;-)
And now . . . want to hear a funny little story about one such "shoe-shopping" experience that occurred several years ago? It all began when Mom decided to take two of my sisters and me to get boots. I found a pair I liked and slipped one of the boots on. When I went to take it off . . . tragedy ensued. It was stuck! I tugged and tugged, but that stubborn shoe held on tight. My sisters lent a hand, but nothing seemed to loosen the boot from my foot. What on earth . . .? Mom laughed her head off, and even I had to giggle a little - until we realized the boots were truly stuck fast. Then all the laughter fizzled away. 
At last, I turned the boot over . . . and realized that there were two zippers, not just  one, and the one we'd all be yanking on was a fake!! You can imagine my embarrassment as I gripped the real zipper, lowered it, and easily pulled my foot out. (Go ahead and have a good laugh - we have many times. *wink, wink*)

So, enough about me. What about you? Are you excited for fall? Have any plans? What's your favorite thing about autumn? Favorite leaf color? Funniest thing you can remember doing during this season?
I'd love to talk with you in the comment section below!

Blessings,
Ellen

18 comments:

  1. Last fall as we were waiting to go to church mom decided that I looked really good. So me and my mom went to ur big tree to take some CHRISTmas photos of me. We left the boys in the car. All of a sudden my bros were screaming like someone had a gun pointed at them. Me and my mom started running fast. My mom dropped her phone. We later found out that there were two wasps in the car (My bros are scared silly about wasps) Any way my photos were good, the boys were sting free and mom got a new phone for CHRISTmas! ;) AT the time it was hard to laugh at but now we can ALL laugh over in <3<3<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellen, do you have your first blog post that I can see? I can't seem to find it. I am going to start a blog in the beginning of 2020 (We are SUPER busy right now) And I was wondering how my first post should be.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, here it is:
      https://musingsbyellen.blogspot.com/2018/12/welcome-to-my-first-musing.html
      That's so cool, Saved! Be sure and drop me the link. 😊

      Delete
    2. I will definitely checked out your blog Saved! Do you have a name for it so when it comes out I'll be able find it?
      ~Elate

      Delete
    3. I have a name idea but I am going to run it by my mom first :) I will tell you when it has a name!

      Delete
    4. Be sure to leave me the link, Saved. :-)

      Delete
  3. That's so funny! I can super identify with you there. :D

    Last Wednesday, I was drove in for choir and I was in a hurry. I stopped the car in the parking space and proceeded to gather my yeti, choir binder, and purse from the passenger seat. I put all that in my lap, then tried to take the key out of the ignition. The key wouldn't budge. After minorly freaking out after tugging on the key for 30 sec, I realized the car was gradually inching forward. The car was now about six inches from the grass in front of it, and I slammed the brake. I hadn't put the car in park. *facepalm* That's why the key wouldn't come out. *facedesk* My siblings in the backseat thought it was hilarious. Honestly, I was just glad that the keys came out and I hadn't broken the car. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for sharing, Emma! This brought a smile to my face. 😊

      Delete
  4. Boy, do I wish it was like that where I live! This last week it SNOWED. In some places in my state people got TWO FEET of snow. Yuck. Thankfully we didn't get that much, but the wind blows it around so bad you can have no snow hardly anywhere except for the four foot snowdrift. So as you might of imagined, we really haven't had a fall.
    One of my favorite memories of fall is when one day [a few years back] my grandpa brought me out to the pasture with him to check cattle and we stood on a hill and looked out. It was so beautiful! The trees where orange and yellow and red and the sky was a clear blue. I wish all of our falls could have been like that.
    ~Elate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elate: It snowed were I live too last week! Not to much but still...

      Delete
    2. Why in the world does it have to snow in fall? *moans* I'm glad to hear we're not alone. ;-)
      ~Elate

      Delete
    3. Last year we could barley see some houses. Our fence was completely gone. And we have a high fence! Our dogs couldn't go outside... It is going to be good wether today and tomorrow then its supposed to snow 6-8 inches... *Sad face* *Gets on a warm jacket and blanket*

      Delete
    4. Snow!? In OCTOBER? Wow!
      Your favorite memory certainly does sound beautiful! With the picture you painted for me, I can just imagine the hilltop view in my head. 😊

      Delete
    5. Haha I just checked we are getting 9 inches in 2 days *Smacks head*

      Delete
    6. Some kids dress up for hollowen were I live and most of them dress up in jackets. A unwritten rule here is that your hollowed costume MUST have a jacket, boots, and be warm.

      Delete
  5. That story made me laugh, Ellen! My sis and I had to go boot shopping on Friday too. Fall is such a fun time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?
      LOL, glad this post could make you laugh. 😊

      Delete
  6. How is your mama doing Ellen?

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?