Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Musing #108 - The Funniest Story You'll Ever Read

Six years ago I entered Mrs. Marlow's first-ever Circle C Writing Contest. I entered in the ages 6-9 category with a story called "Taffy is Missing!" I didn't win, but I had tons of fun. Looking at that story now, I can't help but laugh. It. is. so. historically. inaccurate!! To find out for yourself just what I mean, you'll to have to read my entry (pasted below). I didn't fix any typos or do the editing I now so earnestly desire to do. ;-) So, #keepingitreal. And I mean, we all have to start somewhere, right? LOL
NOTE: you have my permission to laugh. 


Taffy is Missing
Ellen Senechal

"Mom! Mom!" Andi cried as she ran inside the house. "Taffy wasn't in her pasture when I came for her!" Andi panted.
"Is she in the barn Andrea?" Mother asked.
Andi shook her head. "I'm telling you mom, she's missing!"
"Who's missing?" Justin who'd just come into the house asked.
"Taffy!" Andi yelled.
"Don't yell dear," Mother said.
Justin sat at the table with a plate of pancakes. "Taffy is old enough to jump the pasture fence," Justin declared.
Andi screamed, "Taffy is gone for good!" Andi started crying.
Mother sat down on a chair and pulled Andi up on her lap. Mother gave Andi a tight hug and said, "Don't cry honey. Once breakfast is over, you and Justin can go look for her."
Andi cheered up at the thought.
After breakfast, Justin and Andi got up on Star, Justin's Horse. Off they went into the woods. Andi held tight to a brown bag of lunch for her and Justin. Star trotted slowly through the woods. His hooves made a crackling noise as he trotted across fallen leaves on the ground.
Suddenly, Justin made Star's trots into gallops. Andi laughed. She had fun galloping with her biggest and best brother! Star galloped to a big rock where Justin stopped him and hopped off. Andi got off too.
They sat beside the rock and opened up the bag of lunch. Inside there was: a lump of sugar for taffy, carrot sticks, apples (one for each), peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and a bottle of grape juice for each. Andi ate her sandwich and grape juice but saved her carrots, apple, and sugar for Taffy. Andi and Justin got back up on Star and galloped away.
"Justin!" Andi cried. "Is that...is that...Taffy?!?!?!" Justin looked. He turned Star in the direction Andi was pointing at. There a golden, not pale golden, horse stood. He was tied to a tree. The horse had a brown mane instead of white, and he looked younger than Taffy. The horse whinnied.
"Nope.  Not Taffy," Justin said. Justin was right. Even the whinny sounded weird. They hopped back up on Star and galloped away.
About an hour later, Andi got hungry and thirsty. She was also tired. Justin took her to Woods Creek. Andi drank some creek water then ate some of her carrot sticks. After she had her fill, she got up onto Star and into Justin's lap. There she slept contentedly.
A half hour later, Andi woke up. Star was galloping, and Justin steered him. Andi rubbed her sleepy eyes. 
Star kept galloping. Justin whistled for Taffy, and Andi called for her horse. Suddenly...crunch!  Something was moving in the bushes! Star stood still. Andi jumped off Star and ran to the bushes.
It was Taffy! Her hoof was caught in the bushes' thistles. Andi thought fast. She called for Justin who came running. Justin tried removing the thistles. Andi fed Taffy her sugar, apple, and leftover carrots. Taffy ate it all for she was very hungry. Finally, Justin had removed all the thistles. Andi looked at Taffy's hoof. It was bleeding and swollen.
"She won't be able to trot or gallop," Justin said.
"We must help her." Andi started to cry. Her horse was hurt!
Justin got up on Star and said, "I'll go get Chad. He knows about horses. You stay here with Taffy."
Andi watched as Star galloped away with Justin. Tears leaked out from her eyes. "Taffy is hurt and now mean-bossy Chad is coming!" she said to herself. Andi patted Taffy's nose.
Taffy whinnied. She was hungry. So was Andi. Andi put her hand into her pocket and pulled out an Oreo she had saved. She slowly nibbled it. Andi finished her Oreo then reached into her pocket again. She pulled out seven red-yummy-looking cherries she had found by Taffy's pasture. Andi gave Taffy four of the yummy cherries then ate the other three. After their snack, Andi and Taffy fell asleep. 
The next thing Andi knew she was being picked up. Justin was carrying her. Justin placed Andi into a wagon with Taffy. Then Justin got up with Chad in the front seat and clutched a giddy-up to the two horses Janes and James. Janes and James pulled the wagon. 
Andi was happy. Things were alright! Andi laid down and went back to sleep.
The End.

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Bottles of grape juice? OREOS?? XD I'm so thankful to be able to say I have improved in my writing and in the accuracy of my Andi stories since 2013. ;D
Comment below and let me know your thoughts on this unique little musing! 



18 comments:

  1. This is so funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The oreo part made me laugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😂😂😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Ellie, it's wonderful to see how far you've come :-). Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, Sandrina; thank you!! ❤

      Delete
  3. Believe it or not, but I do remember reading this story. I think it was the Oreos that such in my mind. But honestly, it had potential. The sensory parts (crackling, etc) showed you were going to go places with your writing some day, and you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that part about remembering this story because of the Oreos would make sense. 😉
      Aw, thanks so much, Mrs. Marlow! Your amazing comment brightened my day. ❤

      Delete
  4. This is so cute!! Thanks so much for sharing, Ellen! I made me grin :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story made me smile! I still have some of my old writing projects and wanted to edit it so bad! Thanks for keeping it how it was!

    ReplyDelete
  6. XD That is SO cute! I love the part were Andi feeds Taffy Oreos. :-) Thanks so much for posting this!
    P.S. Just out of curiosity, but do you have a horse?
    ~Elate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Elate! I'm glad you enjoyed the story. ❤
      No, I don't have a horse. Truth be told . . . I have never ridden one before. 😂

      Delete
  7. I have the most ATROCIOUS book, made of five pages stapled together, that I made when I was five. The people's names are Jube (??), Bala, and Flwer (I meant "Flower," but I didn't know how to spell it). If the names are weird, the story is unbelievable! And the illustrations.. I won't go into details; they're almost enough to give you nightmares. And Mama won't let me do anything with it. She has it tucked into a drawer along with the 3,197 other things my sister and I gave her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my...at least you tried, right?
    ROFL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. :-) Glad this story could make you smile!

      Delete
  9. That story is so funny and I really see the improvement from this to the return of the outlaws. That was the best story!!! I loved reading it. Great job😊. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, Ellie, your comment warmed my heart <3 Thank you so much!

      Delete
  10. This story is not as bad as i thought it would be!!! It's pretty good for a nine-year-old....But as the saying goes:practice makes progress!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?