Friday, November 8, 2019

Musing #104 - "What If I Gave Everything?" ~ Part 1

I sit down in my chair and reach for the speaker that sits on my desk. "You want some music?" I ask my one-year-old sister, who answers, "All 'ight!" I smile and press down on the button. A moment later, and the bluetooth speaker comes to life. I connect it with my device and click the Pandora icon. It isn't long before the music begins to slip through, starting with one of my favorites, "You Are Good" by Nichole Nordeman, and evenutally turning to a song by Casting Crowns that (believe it or not) I've never heard before called "What If I Gave Everything?" Interested, I perk my ears, and my sister begins to nod her head to the beat.
The words immediately catch me:

All my life I longed to be a hero
My sword raised high, running to the battle
I was gonna take giants down
Be a man you would write about
Deep in my chest, is the heart of a warrior

So why am I still standing here
Why am I still holding back, from You
I hear You call me out into deeper waters
But I settled on a shallow end
So why am I still standing here

I was so afraid, what it might cost to follow You
I'd walk by faith if I could, get these feet to move
But I don't wanna live that way
I don't wanna look back someday
On a life that never stepped across the line

So why am I still standing here
Why am I still holding back, from You
You've given me a faith, that can move a mountain
But I'm still playing in the sand


Building little kingdoms that will never stand
I hear You call me up, into deeper waters
But I settled on a shallow end (shallow end)
I'm so tired of standing here
What if I gave everything to You

What if I gave everything
What if I stopped holding back from You
Starting now, I'm stepping out onto deeper waters
What if I gave everything
What if I stopped holding back from You
Starting now, I'm stepping out onto deeper waters
I wanna see some mountains move

Ready to give everything
Say goodbye to standing here.


The song draws to a close, and, in response to the final verse, my sister crows, "G'bye!" I smile, still contemplating the words and how they apply to my life.
God used this song to show me two things, one of which I'll be sharing in this post. The second tidbit will be coming later (so be sure and keep an eye out for "What If I Gave Everything?" ~ Part 2).
As followers of Jesus, we're called to share the good news and spread the Gospel everywhere. As followers of Jesus, we're supposed to be brave and speak up for what's right. But as weak humans and vile sinners, we draw back, finding our seats on the "shallow end" of the ocean God is pulling us to, choosing instead to play in the "sand" - what's familiar, comfy, easy
We're holding back, holding on tight to the things that don't matter.
God never promised that being a Christian and telling others about Him would be easy, but He did promise that He would be with us through it all. 
And yet, when He nudges us to reach out to unbelievers, we plant our feet. We close our lips, clamp down on our calling. 
It's time to stop holding back. It's time to jump right into that deep water - time to share our faith, see mountains move. 
Are you ready to give everything? Say "goodbye" to standing here, and plummet forward?
Go ahead - He's got you.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, what a post, Ellie. Really made me think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandrina. :-) All glory be to God! <3

      Delete
  2. Hi Ellen! I was wondering if I could tag you in a book tag in the next couple days/weeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, but I can't make any promises that I'll do the tag. :-)
      Thanks, Sawyer Marie!

      Delete
    2. Thats fine! I know you are busy with fam and writing your book! Good luck with it!

      Delete
  3. Great post, Ellen!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?