Thursday, November 14, 2019

Musing #106 - Bookmail!! (and Reviews)

Yay! I received my copies of Jem Strikes Gold and Jem's Frog Fiasco yesterday and added them to my overflowing Andi-and-Jem shelf last night. That means . . . it's review time. :-)

JEM STRIKES GOLD

Jem Strikes Gold was a fun read, and I give it four stars. I sat down with my seven-year-old brother and three of my sisters as soon as the book arrived and read aloud the first chapter. They were hooked, and I look forward to sharing more with them. I'm not the biggest fan of books centered around bullies, but I do like the lesson you can learn from this: be still and do the right thing, and God will take care of you. (Read the book, and you'll see what I mean.) 
I recommend Jem Strikes Gold for girls and boys ages 6 and up. 






JEM'S FROG FIASCO


Really enjoyed this one; I rate it five stars. Even my one-year-old sister benefited from this book! She carried it around, studying the cover and pretending to read, then brought it to Mom. Pointing to the frogs on the cover, she said, "Ribbit, ribbit!" Mom asked her to find other things in the book as well, and my sister enjoyed showing off the numerous illustrations to us both. :-) It was so sweet!
Anyway . . . more on the book: Jem takes on the job of catching frogs for the cafe owner in Goldtown, but his sister, Ellie, seems to get in his way all the time. Finally, after a big fight between the two, Ellie disappears. Where is she? Jem determines to find her and bring her home. 
Like Jem Strikes Gold, I recommend this book for girls and boys ages 6 and up. Through this book readers both young and old will learn the value of siblings . . . as well as the effect ugly words can have on people. 



So tickled to see my name in here as "Mama Coulter." ;-)


                                                                                                           



Are you excited for these books? Have you read Susan K. Marlow's "Goldtown Adventures" series? Let's talk in the comments below!

3 comments:

  1. I sooooo want to read these books! Mrs. M loves to use fans as character names. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should read them, Lilly! <3
      Actually, "Ellen" has been Mama Coulter's name since long before I even became an Andi fan. If you look in the first book of the Goldtown Adventures series ("Badge of Honor"), at page 31, she's first mentioned there. But hey, God knew, right? ;-)

      Delete
    2. Yep, He did. :-)

      Delete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?