Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Holding Onto Truth In a World Filled With Fear

Hello all!! Ellen here, reporting to you live in her St. Patrick's Day attire (green shirt and grey sweat pants). While her family is not one to celebrate the holiday, Ellen's siblings have made it a tradition to pinch whoever isn't wearing green on March 17th. Hence the shirt that she only wears once a year.
Okay, time to get back into talking first-person. XD
As you guys are well aware, the coronavirus is e.v.e.r.y.w.h.e.r.e. It's on the news. It's in people's homes all around the globe. It's made us shut down restaurants, theatres, schools, and libraries. It's even succeeded in changing Walmart's hours, which have been 24/7 for as long as I can remember. It's emptied the shelves of sanitizers and Lysol wipes. It's closed the door to gathered worship with more than 50 people.
There's no escaping this "state of emergency." It hangs over us like a dark shadow, threatening to steal our peace and replace it with anxiety. 
As we watch everyone around us get hysterical, load their carts with toilet paper, and take off to quarantine themselves at home, our faith can begin to sway. We can begin to doubt. We can begin to think, What if my family catches this? Our newborn baby? Would half of us end up in the ICU?
In the midst of all this fear and panic, we need to remember the One in Whom we've placed our trust. We need to cling to His truth and His promises. We need to let things go. We need to surrender our whole lives to Him. 
He still has us, even if the world around us feels like it's whirling out of control.
Psalm 91:2-6 holds such a deep, comforting assurance from our Savior, one I think we all should reflect upon, especially now. 

I will say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in Whom I trust." For He will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with His pinions, and under His wings you will find refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and a buckler. You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday. (emphasis mine)

As you walk into Target today and see the bare shelves and large crowds, remember this. As you read headlines, remember this. As you start to doubt, remember this.
The coronavirus may be big, BUT OUR GOD IS ALWAYS BIGGER. <3
Praying for you all!!

Blessings,
Ellen S.

18 comments:

  1. <3 Great post, Ellen!

    They have shut down every school in the radius of where the news is broadcast here. And many of the libraries too. (There are two certain young ladies who are not to happy.) And the "megachurches" here have shut down. Thankfully, on a good day, our church is at 50 people.

    A song that reminds me of you post is "Bigger Than Any Mountain". Ever heard of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think I've heard of that song, Lilly, although it sounds interesting! Who sings it?

      Delete
    2. The Gaither's do a version of it, but I like the Mel Stoltzfus singers version better. The Gaither's version has choir for the chorus, so it's harder to understand what they are saying.

      Delete
    3. I like this version!
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ7g8qoEN4c

      Delete
    4. Thanks, ladies!! I plugged in the link you sent, Laura, and enjoyed listening to the song. :D It was great! I love the lyrics. :-)

      Delete
  2. Funny, I don't wear green and this morning I was worried I would get pinched, any way, I found a pair of earrings that are green :D
    LOL my town is so small we don't have a Target.
    Everyone is freaking out all around us. I had to do a post on this the other day because everyone is freaking out.
    Praying Ruby Jane doesn't get sick and that my baby sister doesn't get sick along with pregnant moms!
    Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol, that's a cool tradition ;D

    This virus has me kinda frustrated, (and a little worried) some of my older siblings might lose their jobs for a while (some of them work in places that are being shut down) it'd be fun to have them home, but what about money? How will people buy stuff without money? What's gonna happen, with so many people out of a job? I'm trying not to worry about that (but it's hard...), it hasn't happened yet, and I'll have plenty of time to worry if it does

    Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof (that's not the whole verse, but it's part of Matthew 6:34)



    Yes! God is bigger than anything!

    I'm praying for y'all, too!

    ~R

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good post, Ellen! God is bigger then this virus!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know God is in control, and I believe that He will take care of us. I pray that no one will die without knowing Him as their Lord and Savior.
    Despite the whole fear thing, Coronavirus is starting to annoy me. Our family had to cancel our vacation, we're not visit our grandparents, and now, my favorite sporting event of the year, the Kentucky Derby, is being moved to the first Saturday in SEPTEMBER instead of the first Saturday in MAY. I'm really upset about pretty much everything. Who in the world was the person(s) who let the Coronavirus escape from that lab anyways?
    ~Elate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Elate, every thing is canceled for me to, Spring is empty. Our trip is gone. But, something that helped me with being disappointed was knowing that I am not the only one going through it. It's not like my friends lives are perfect. We are all in the same boat.
      I started thinking about others and doing RAOK (random acts of kindness.) for others. I am not going to pretend like I'm not upset, I had to have a good cry to get to this point. But now, I am just trying to come up with activities for me and my family, this afternoon we are going to spend an hour playing board games!
      We will all get through this, and become stronger because of it. <3
      Praying that the Lord will help you get through your disappointment, we know He can and WILL.

      Delete
    2. "Don't let todays disappointment cast a shadow over tomorrow's dream"
      -Unknown

      Delete
    3. Sorry I'm a bit late to thanking you SawyerMarie, but thanks!! That is very beautiful and oh, so true. <3 <3
      ~Elate

      Delete
  6. So true! Right now the world seems quite upside down, but God is our anchor and it's nice to know that He hasn't changed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this encouragement! You’re so right, God is bigger than all this. Keep trusting in Him. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you dear Ellen, those were encouraging words. Psalm 91 is perfect for these troubling days. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another great article at usual!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Holding onto Truth..." what a good title Ellen. ♥ God has a good plan in everything, even this. So thankful. =)

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?