Sunday, March 15, 2020

Unexpected Hamster Adventures: A Search Party at Four In the Morning

Yes, I think the title just gave away everything this post is about. 😂 I recommend you keep reading, however, as this is a musing you surely won't want to miss . . . 


***


Those of you who are Andi fans probably know about Mrs. Marlow's story Overgrown Kitty. (And if you haven't yet read that story, but would like to, you can find it HERE.) 
Why am I bringing that up, you ask? Well, today's events (which are featured in this post) reminded me of this one scene from her story:

The next morning, Riley and Andi stood in front of the enclosure. The empty enclosure. Riley yanked a broken plank from the top of the cage and sighed.
"Our curious cougar cub is on the loose."

Today
, at approximately 4:40 AM, I awoke to someone jumping on me and saying, "Ellie, you gotta wake up." 
Somewhere in my sleep-fogged mind I thought, What time is it? Have I overslept? 
I decided to play it cool and act like I'd been awake for a while. It wouldn't do to have my family think I'm a sleepyhead. 6:30 is our usual "get-up" time, and I'm generally downstairs by 7:15 after having done my devotions and restored some sense to my bedraggled hair.
Okay, yes, now I'm digressing. Sorry. Back to the story . . . 


My eyes flew open, and I stared blearily at my sister. "What's going on?"
"Harmony escaped."
"What?" I shot to a sitting position, no longer needing to pretend I was awake. This unexpected announcement from my sister dissolved any grogginess I had in me. 
At this point in the retelling you're probably wondering, Who's Harmony? Well, as I mentioned in an earlier post, we adopted a hamster for my sister's birthday and named her Harriet, after Harriet Oleson in Little House on the Prairie. As it turned out, however, Harriet was sickly and died less than a week later.
So, we went back to Petco and found another hamster that was both healthy and energetic. (And boy, is she ever energetic!) My sister chose to name her after a Bible verse we'd read the night she received her new pet:

May the God of endurance and encouragement grant you to live in such harmony with one another, in accord with Jesus Christ. ~Romans 15:5

So, yes, Harmony is our hamster. And yes, she somehow managed to wriggle out of her cage and get lost. 
At four o'clock in the morning.
I'm gonna go ahead and be honest with you all, but I am so *not* an animal person. I've never touched Harriet or Harmony, and I always keep my distance when my sister is holding her pet. 
Understandably, then, knowing that this bundle of warm fluff could skitter across my feet at any moment made me flinch.
After checking Harmony's cage to reassure ourselves that she was indeed gone, my sister went for Dad, who came upstairs with a flashlight. I held Ruby against my shoulder and climbed back into bed, pulling my feet up with me.
No way was I going to let a hamster run helter-skelter over my toes!
The search in my sisters' room proved unsuccessful, so we fanned out further. We checked all the bedrooms and bathrooms on the level, then headed downstairs. Mom called us the "Homeschool Detectives." :D
By five o'clock, many areas of our home had been scoured, but still there was no Harmony. One of my sisters found what looked like a piece of her bedding on the staircase. Other than that, we had no clues to go off of. 
Where, oh where, could that hamster be?
I suggested searching in the basement, but the idea that she could be down there seemed unlikely. After all, was it really possible that a teensy little hamster could make it down four flights of steps??
As it turns out, YES, it was possible. Very much so.
We found Harmony, curled up and awake with wide, beady eyes, hiding out in one of my brothers' homemade Nerf forts in the basement. Dad caught her and carried her back up the steps and to her cage. How the door got open so that Harmony could escape is yet to be discovered, but we're not taking any chances. Dad plans on taping the small door closed.
Scary? Yes. Funny? Now that it's all over, yes. We all lost a bit of sleep (and a bit of sanity), but "all's well that ends well." It sure wasn't a very restful way to start our Sabbath. 😂
My sister, Mom, and me. :-)
Anyway, just a quick update of what's been going on in my life. What have you all been up to? :D

16 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! I love how your whole family sticks a hand in to help find Harmony :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad about Harriet. :(
    But what a funny story! XD I've heard hamsters are quite the escape artists and Harmony lived up to what I heard!
    ~Elate

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious! We've had similar cases with our animals, though it usually happens outside since our house is small.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BookWorm3,000March 16, 2020

    That's funny! :-) If your family usually sleeps until 6:30, how did you find out about the hamster at 4:00 in the morning? :D ;-)
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't ask me. XD My sis woke up and found her gone. Then she woke me up.
      That's about all I know. LOL

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you caught her again! It sounds like it was an adventurous morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was! :-)
      Thanks for reading, Laura!

      Delete
  6. I meant to comment earlier, but I was on my phone, and it's no phone to comment by phone! :-)
    Funny! Reminds me of our Mouse Hunt (I sent you the link in an email).
    Also, we had a hamster escape one time. One hamster. One escape. Found him in a corner with all kinds of goodies he had piled up. Out he went into the barn in the hay. We never asked any questions of our cats about what happened that hamster after that. A hamster is just a fatter mouse if you ask me. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that's really interesting. We so did *not* think our hamster would be an escape artist. Her cage is well-built. Plenty of walls and latches. So, waking up at 4 to track her down was . . . quite the unexpected experience. :-)
      Thanks for reading and commenting, Mrs. Marlow!

      Delete
  7. That's so funny Ellen!
    It reminds me of myself who always wakes up to animals escaping. * hint The goats* 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? *laughs with you* We now double-check Harmony's cage before going to bed at night. 😂
      Oh no, for your sake I hope that doesn't happen often!
      Thanks for commenting, Ellie!!

      Delete
    2. I also have a goat named Harmony! 😂
      And she gets out a lot!
      (But mostly the nasty buck "puzzle" who is the expert) 🤣

      Delete
    3. Oh, my! Really? That is *so* funny, Ellie! I'll have to let my sister know that the two runaway experts share a name! 😂
      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?