Monday, September 21, 2020

Monday Musings // We Got Out!

Friends, an earth-shattering event has occurred! 

THE SENECHALS LEFT THEIR HOUSE AND MINGLED WITH OTHER HUMANITY FOR THE FIRST TIME IN OVER SEVEN MONTHS. 

After my bout of influenza in late 2019 + Ruby's birth at the end of January, my family decided to do what we've done with every winter baby: self-quarantine ourselves. Full corona lockdown hardly affected us as we were already nestled deep inside our "cave." Of course, a few changes took place eventually, like having livestream church services become the norm, and Dad doing all our grocery shopping. 

Even when things in our state commenced to open up again, my family stayed wary. Bringing a nasty bug into a home with eight kids and a sweet new baby was far from desirable.

So, in the times we needed to get away, Mom has taken a few of us with her on drives or possibly on an outing to the river. I also started walking, then jogging, on a regular basis. Connor (my awesome big bro) and I often biked to our neighborhood pool, circled the parking lot, and headed home without stepping a foot near the water. And perhaps it was insanity that drove me to picking wildflowers on the side of the road? ;D (to read about that adventure, click HERE.)

Meanwhile, the seasons slipped away. As the cold edge of autumn began to seep into the air, we started to lose hope of ever taking part in civilization again.

But finally, FINALLY, it happened. On Friday, September 18, Dad loaded the eight oldest kids (including me) in the van, and we broke from our secluded bubble to head in for our appointments at the dentist's office. I don't think it had ever been so exciting to go to the dentist before, and wearing masks for the very first time was certainly an experience! 

All you can see of this cutie are her big brown eyes. 😍😍😍

Social distancing in the waiting room. 😃
Later that same day, Mom, two of my younger sisters, and I made our first-of-2020 trip to Hobby Lobby. It was great! We ended up celebrating the occasion with Chick-fil-A milkshakes and warm sandwiches. *grins* 

So, yes, these trips were truly two amazing highlights from my week. :D Another would be finishing up and SCHEDULING my six Five Fall Favorites posts. (yaayyy!) 

Aaaaaand, there you go. Not the typical layout for a Monday Musings post, but it's good to switch things up once in a while. =)

What's been going on in your corner of the world? Do you enjoy shopping at Hobby Lobby? Comment below! <3

Blessings,
Ellen S.

32 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm excited for you, Ellen! My mom and I occasionally like to go to Hobby Lobby to get various supplies and it's good that it's a Christian store. :)
    Have a great week! <33

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Scotia! Yes, we greatly enjoy our visits to Hobby Lobby. :D
      Hope you have an awesome week as well! <33

      Delete
  2. How did you survive seven months without going out!?!? As soon as our governor lifted the stay-at-home order, we and pretty much everyone we know were our and about. We went shopping to Hobby Lobby right after quarantine (for my birthday)--it's like my favorite store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. We just . . . did. *laughs* To be honest, these past seven months have passed in a blur. I can hardly believe we're already approaching autumn! xD
      Ooh, what a fun birthday adventure! Hobby Lobby is the greatest. :D
      Thanks for commenting, Lilly! Stay safe! <3

      Delete
  3. What?! You got to go out?! 🤩🤩🤩
    We have been like, nowhere in over 6 months.
    Weigh brothers with bad asthma, and a mom who didn’t mind being home a lot- I have been almost nowhere 😂
    But I did get to go pick up lunch with my cousins for the first time yesterday! 😂
    But no “for fun” shopping or anything... not even the library 😱
    But we’re good!
    Glad you got to go out!!!! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Hope you'll be able to get out of the house soon. :)
      Thank you!! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  4. Wow Ellen, you quarantine for months just cause you have a brand new baby? *laughs* I don't know how you would ever handle that! And then longer....?? That would be challenging! I'm sure it was exciting for you to get out again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually wasn't as challenging as it may sound. xD But YES, I was VERY excited to be able to leave the house and enter civilization again. =)

      Delete
  5. FUN! I'm so glad you got to go out! Hobby Lobby is an AWESOME store! It used to be one of my favorites. I'm not so into crafts anymore, but I still love visiting! Your milkshakes look WONDERFUL, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hattush! I'm not a crafty-type of person either, but Hobby Lobby is still a really fun store to visit. :D

      Delete
  6. I've not been anywhere except big bros soccer games! xD I really need to get out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a fun post!!!!! <3 And I love all your pics!!
    Ohhh, I LOVE Hobby Lobby!!!
    We haven't been getting out near as much as usual, but we did get to go to the library last week!!! It was the first time I'd had a real library trip in months! I'm still excited about that, and it was almost a week ago. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abby!!
      Ahh, nice! Library trips are always lots of fun. :D

      Delete
  8. Wow! Going out sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been out . . . while I won't die if I don't, it's kind of nice to tag along when a parent or older sibling is shopping at a store you find interesting or fun. Hobby Lobby is one such store for me, but I haven't been there since quarantine. Sounds like you had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Hobby Lobby is a terrible store . . . even with the best intentions, I usually end up buying SOMETHING. :P

      Delete
    2. I know! 🤣🤣🤣
      I go in not going to buy anything, and I always have to buy something! 🤣

      Delete
    3. *laughs* Martha, I saw the first part of your second comment ("Hobby Lobby is a terrible store . . .") and I was aghast. Then I read what followed, and understood the sentiment completely. ;D
      Thanks for commenting! <3

      Delete
  10. I'm so happy for you, Ellen!! When we first got to go out, I was nearly leaping around--I was so happy. Being an extrovert and locked up for so long is almost torture since I like being busy-busy.
    That's interesting that you quarantine after every winter baby--but very wise. How long do you usually stay locked up before Covid hit??
    Hobby Lobby is a great store. I'm not a very crafty person, but their notebooks are always so pretty, and my mom is constantly buying their decor xD. And Chik-fil-A is the BEST!!! My mouth is watering . . . xD. I bet you had a blast!
    ~Gracie~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gracie!! My family was actually just beginning to get out (we'd attended a few church services and my little sister and I had been prescribed new glasses) when lockdown happened. So, we scuttled back to our home and decided to wait things out. :D We'd experienced something similar before, when Sadie was born and influenza cases were everywhere. (It's definitely more severe this time around, however.)
      Yes, Chick-fil-A is AMAZING! =)
      Thank you! <3

      Delete
  11. Hobby Lobby is the best... especially if there's a Chick-fil-a nearby. (I LOVE their lemonade!) *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie! Welcome to my blog!! <3
      Yes, Hobby Lobby + Chick-fil-A = *all the hearts*
      Thanks for coming by and dropping a comment! I'm always excited to hear from new viewers. =)

      Delete
    2. Oh, thank you! I'm glad to be here!! :)

      Delete
  12. I'm so happy for you! It looks like you had a really good day!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura! Yes, it was FANTASTIC. =)

      Delete
  13. Wow! That looks like fun. Idk how long I was quarantined before I saw the outside world again. XD
    Shopping at Hobby Lobby is fun, but I always want to get everything! Lol.
    ~Elate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elate!! So great to hear from you! I've missed your comments. :) Thanks, and I hope you're doing well!

      Delete
    2. Awww, thanks! I am doing well, I just haven't been checking up on a lot of blogs because I've been so busy. I'll try to more steadily keep up with my comment posting. :D
      ~Elate

      Delete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?