Saturday, September 19, 2020

Afternoon Homeschooling Adventure

There're so many joys to homeschooling, a few of which would be flexible schedules, opportunities to hold babies and listen to music while I work on my studies, and an AWESOME teacher (Mom) and principal (Dad) I can turn to whenever I might need questions answered or counsel given. 

And then there are the adventures of homeschooling . . . like stopping on the side of the road to pick wildflowers because my little brother needs them for a science project. This, my friends, has been my most recent Saturday afternoon activity. 

On the way home from Dunkin' Donuts, Mom and I spotted several patches of clustering, colorful wildflowers. She made a comment about picking them, but I didn't know she was serious until she passed me her cup of iced coffee and turned the car around. Then I realized my fate was sealed.

Mom pulled over into a clear spot alongside the road and parked, and I climbed out. With the sound of automobiles zipping behind me, I waded into the tall, unkempt grass and white-knuckled a number of thick flower stems, tugging until they came loose. Soon I had a nice bouquet, complete with blooms of varying colors - yellow, pink, white. (Quite honestly, though, the only flowers I recognized were the daisies. xD)

I brought them to the car, but unbeknownst to me, a small, eight-legged creature had decided to come along for the ride. No sooner had I buckled into my seat then Mom exclaimed, "Ugh! A spider!"  

Hoping to find something to kill it with, Mom opened the console. Too late we realized the spider had already attached its web to the lid. Up, up, up it went, swinging back and forth and causing both Mom and I to catch our breaths. Then smack! Mom popped the lid in place, trapping the spider inside. 

It was with much laughter that we drove back onto the road, arriving home and sending Dad out for the spider . . . which, uh, had actually escaped and is now nowhere to be found. (oops)



posing for a picture with the first few flowers. :D

Do you have a favorite homeschooling adventure? Ever picked wildflowers by the road before? Comment below! <3

Blessings,
Ellen S.

7 comments:

  1. That sounds like something my mom would have me do. We don't have a lot of homeschooling adventures (unless you consider doing school at half a dozen friend's houses adventures!) Right now, I have midterm reviews/tests for algebra and history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! Lol, the spider XD! Sounds like something my mom and I would do- that is, trap a spider, and make Daddy go kill it :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw i love this!!! This summer me and my sister were huuuge into native wildflowers around here and now we can identify quite a few and there uses! they are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Ah, the classic, "Agh! Kill it!" reaction. I am definitely guilty of that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm actually not very scared of spiders... I totally could have taken care of it for you. LOL! And no, I don't remember picking flowers by the roadside before, but it sounds like a fun little adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?