Thursday, October 8, 2020

Five Fall Favorites: Day Four ~ Fantasy

Ahh, we've arrived at one of my favorite spots around the Literary Lodge: the place for the bonfires. There's something about a warm, cheery blaze burning in the great outdoors that delights me. Perhaps it's partly because, when my siblings and I were younger, we loved to build our own little indoor bonfires using an orange-tinted cup and flashlight. Sometimes we'd talk of roasting marshmallows and falling asleep by the "fire." Well, today at the Lodge we're doing just this: enjoying a s'more or two, drinking some fresh-made hot cocoa, and continuing our lovely book talk a safe distance away from the dancing embers. :D

The genre I'm picking from today is clean, Christian fantasy. (because I'm woefully behind in reading holiday books. xD) I'm not usually a fan of this genre, but it just so happens I've read some pretty awesome fantasy books over the past year that definitely deserve a shout-out. 


THE GIRL WHO COULD SEE
Highly unbelievable? Yes. Sometimes hard to understand? Yes. Highly addicting? Absolutely.
 Kara Swanson is such a talented author. You have to read this book for the writing style, if nothing else. Kara excels at drawing the reader in by "showing, not telling." Some of my own work has been inspired by her.
FAWKES
Gahhhhh, from the first sentence Fawkes had my undivided attention. I've never cried over a book before, but I came near doing so more than once as the story went on. Gripping and emotional, with a satisfactory ending.  
FAIREST SON
 Oh my. The Gospel message was so clearly portrayed through this book. It had my heart within the first few pages. <3

THE RELUCTANT GODFATHER
A retelling of the well-known Cinderella story but from a different viewpoint. For those of you who love a good laugh + engaging writing style/plot line, this book is for you! 

THE TORCH KEEPERS
This book is one of my all-time favorites! A Christian fantasy just begging to find a place on your shelf and in your heart. <3 Read my full review HERE.

There're only two days left to enter the giveaway, m'friends! Hop over to the main room of the Literary Lodge and get your entries submitted! And don't forget to visit all the other blog party hosts. ;D 

Blessings,
Ellen S.

11 comments:

  1. The Girl Who Could See is super good!! And THE TORCH KEEPERS!! *heart eyes*
    I'm d y i n g to read Fawkes (And Brandes' trilogy, for that matter), too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Fawkes" is on my to-read list and I've read "The Torch Keepers".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read The Torch Keepers! It was so much better than I was expecting, though I didn't have many expectations as I knew nothing about it beforehand. :)
    I've also read and enjoyed The Reluctant Godfather. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay so I have "The Torch Keepers" and desperately need to read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not much of a fantasy fan, but maybe that's because I can't seem to find any good fantasy. Thanks for sharing these books! "The Reluctant Godfather" sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martha AbileneOctober 08, 2020

    I keep hearing good things of "The Torch Keepers." I should read it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister loves The Girl Who Could See.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love The Girl Who Could See!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have heard of some of these but haven't read them. I'm not a big fantasy fan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Only 2 books on this list I haven't. And they look awesome but first can I take a moment to get super excited over the fact that "Torch Keepers" is on this list!!! AHHHHHH! Its SOOOOOOO good!!!!!!! Y'all must reads it!!!!!!!!!! Also I really want to read "The Girl Who Could See'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of these books *faints from happiness and appreciation*

    YESSSSS

    and I'd love to borrow the Torch-Bearers book sometime!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?