Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Five Fall Favorites: Day Two ~ Epistolary

One of my all-time favorite spots to read is outside, and that's where we'll be today. Friends, welcome to the benches! The scenery is quite beautiful here, with a shimmery lake glittering yellow in the sunlight, golden leaves swirling and dipping from their branches, and, naturally, the quaint wooden benches scattered along the ground in every direction. Pick a spot and slide off your pack. There is a slight nip in the air, so if you should start feeling chilly, don't hesitate to ask for a jacket or a cozy quilt. We have plenty of both!

Now, for the genre of the day: epistolary!


DADDY LONG LEGS
The writing style for this one was a.m.a.z.i.n.g. I also love the overall plot + Jerusha/Judy's unique signatures with each letter she wrote. The religious views mentioned (evolution, etc.), kept this book from getting a full five stars, but it was still an awesome read. 


DEAR AMERICA: VOYAGE ON THE GREAT TITANIC
There're many books in the Dear America series, each geared with their own unique character, plot, timeframe . . . and, of course, the intention of taking the reader on a tour through some important historical event. Voyage On the Great Titanic is one of my favorites from the series, but I do advise having caution while reading these books. Many contain some questionable language, a bit of romance, etc. I mainly read them for the historical factors. :D

HUDSON TAYLOR'S SPIRITUAL SECRET
I felt inspired and strengthened in my faith after finishing this book. <3 My all-time favorite quote came from one of Hudson's letters: "Heart and flesh often fail. Let them fail! He faileth not."


PRACTICING HIS PRESENCE
Another great book every Christian should read! It presents a challenge in your walk with Christ, plenty to think of, and a prayer or two to lift. :D

STEPPING HEAVENWARD
My mom's all-time favorite book, and one of mine as well. :) Katie's diary entries are all-too relatable and hold beauty in their brokenness. If you haven't read Stepping Heavenward yet, you're totally missing out! 

I've reached the end of my list, but there's still more to see and do! Click the button below to be invited to all the other rooms in the Lodge, and of course the giveaway! :D 

Blessings,
Ellen S.

Where do you like to read? Do you have a favorite epistolary book? Tell me in the comments below! <3 

16 comments:

  1. Glad to see that Daddy Long Legs made the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read any of those books; I'll have to add them to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't got around to reading the Hudson Taylor book yet. "Stepping Heavenward" was so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love "Daddy-Long-Legs"!! And I totally want to read "Stepping Heavenward." <33

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven’t read the first two, but those last three are SO good! Practicing His Presence is a must-read!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I REALLY need to read "Stepping Heavenward." I've had it recommended to me several times but haven't read it yet.

    I've read several of the Dear America books, but not the one you mention here. (And yes, I mostly read them for the historical factors as well.)

    FFF is so FUN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read PRACTICING HIS PRESENCE earlier this year with a friend. Most of the rest of these are on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVED Voyage on the Great Titanic when I was in school. That was my favorite of the Dear America series. Stepping Heavenward is a good favorite of mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eep, this blog party is so fun!!

    I've been hearing good things about Daddy-Long-Legs, making me think I need to add it to my TBR ;) I love the Dear America series so much, and A Voyage on the Great Titanic is one of my favorites! The other books all look really good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love "Stepping Heavenward"! I've lost count of how many times I've read it by now, and each time it encourages me and convicts me. I think I'm due for another round...
    -Faith Gilliosa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Daddy-Long-Legs is on my tbr now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have read many Dear America books I love reading in bed.
    Marion


    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard of "Stepping Heavenward," but have never read it. Hmm, maybe I should look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. CutePolarBearOctober 06, 2020

    When I first saw this category, I thought I had only read Daddy-Long-Legs. But I have read a few Dear America books--and I read Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret, too. :)

    CutePolarBear

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list! Thanks for sharing. *stacks books on bench beside me and wonders what to read first*

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post!! The Five Fall Favorites has been so fun!!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?