Sunday, August 18, 2019

Musing #81 - "The Torch Keepers" by Hosanna Emily

Guys, breaking news! A while back, I read Hosanna Emily's first-ever published book, The Mystery of the Midnight Trespasser, and you can find the review I wrote for that on my Book Reviews page. Then, about a month ago . . . *pauses to dance in circles around the room and throw confetti in the air* *sits back down and clears throat* Where was I? Oh, yes! Then, about a month ago . . . 

I was asked to be an ARC (Advanced Reader Copy) reader for Hosanna's newest novel

THE TORCH KEEPERS


This means I got to read another one of her absolutely amazing stories, then put on my thinking cap, open the laptop, and sit down before it to try and type up a review that accurately describes the excellence of the book. So, let's hope I managed to do just this, and begin!


This book. It is. so. good. So emotional; so suspenseful; so stunningly good (and this is coming from someone who ordinarily doesn't read fantasy novels). Once I started reading, I could hardly stop. I had to keep plowing through the whole story to find out what happened. And, just as she did in her last book (Mystery of the Midnight Trespasser), Hosanna Emily used such wonderful plot twists - ones I was not prepared for. Up and down, down and up, like a seesaw, my emotions went as I read through The Torch Keepers, my heart aching the entire time for dear little Kadira - the main heroine of the story.
All right . . . so, I guess it's time I stopped ranting about how this story is so good and start talking about why this story is so good, huh? Not a problem. Without giving away any spoilers, here're my reasons:

*it was well-written, and the author definitely has a way with words. All her descriptions were spot-on and majestic. They drew me in and gave me a clear picture of everything.

*romance was included but not overused, and the characters are never mentioned as kissing on the lips or even on the face (unless, of course, it's between a child and its parents). The farthest this story goes with boy-girl relationships are light kisses on the hair, hands held, "I love you" being said, and some embraces ensuing. There was one scene where I got a little uncomfortable but I ran those few paragraphs through my mom, and she allowed me to continue on in the story. (hurrah!) The one other scene I'm against (but I understand why it's included) is when a woman is described in this sort of detail: "Leggings revealed slender legs and feet with painted toenails." 


*the skillful way the author switches POVs (points of view). She does so by beginning the top of each chapter with the name of the storyteller (which is either Kadira or Rekém) and starting right in.

*I've highlighted several quotes on my Kindle (where I sent the PDF document she e-mailed to me). These quotes are heart-wrenching, practically overwhelming, making you almost want to cry. (I love how a good author can do that to you!) 

*the cover. I mean, who doesn't like a good book-cover? *wink, wink*

*and, mainly, the fact that anything this author writes is for the glory of God. You can count on Hosanna Emily for wholesome, Christian reading material.

So, there're my reasons, probably not all of them, but most of them. A few extra details you should be mindful of:

*This book releases on Amazon on the first day of September, 2019. (Mark the date!)

*I recommend you visit Hosanna Emily's blog, Having a Heart Like His, and read through the letters she's written for the characters in her book (Ir-haran and Emyir) so that you have a good idea of what you're in for when you start The Torch Keepers. Also, for more info on this novel, you can visit this page.

*you'll probably cry when you read this book (just saying . . .).

*when you get your copy of The Torch Keepers, don't skip to the "Acknowledgments" pages first thing like I did. I suggest you read the rest of the book first, because, believe me, you'd feel guilty if you didn't. ;-)

and, finally . . . 

*I plan on having a giveaway here on my blog for a copy of The Torch Keepers soon after it's released, so stay tuned! 

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book.☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really want to read this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy (belated) birthday!!! 13 is a fun age. :-)

      Delete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?