Monday, November 2, 2020

Monday Musings // We Went to Grove City, PA!! + Hiatus Notice

Hi friends! Can you believe we're in the eleventh month of 2020? I just finished flipping the calendar and still feel baffled. Where did the time go? This year has been so crazy, it seems as if everything is running together. 😮 

Anywayyyy . . . 

Happy November! Who else is glad to have the clocks "falling back" an hour? *waves hand* I sure am!

Last week my family and I made the sixteen-hour round trip to Grove City, Pennsylvania, to look into a college for my older brother. We also turned it into our own little vacation for the year, with time for fishing, antiquing, and making/eating s'mores. As our stay stretched from Monday night to Thursday morning, we rented a delightful little cabin with a gurgling creek running alongside it. And I brought my computer, of course. Writing in the loft of our little house was so fun! 😄

The cabin . . . 
. . . and the creek. 🤩
Ready to go! 
Another misty morning.
Sweet little sleepyhead. 😍
Watching an episode of The Andy Griffith Show from the loft.
Plenty of rain left the wood wet, so our bonfire was mainly constructed with lighter fluid.
The brand of chocolate we used is engraved on this marshmallow. 😄
Yummy! 😋
And we thought our 15-passenger Chevy was big . . . 😂

Loved passing the time on the road by listening to these audio dramas, a birthday gift from my friend Sandrina back in 2019.   

Due to COVID, only three people from a family are allowed to tour the college campus at a time, so Mom, Dad, Connor, and Ruby (since she was too young to really count as one of the "three") went. The kids and I stayed at the cabin, but we were able to drive around the campus later. I also took a walk and snapped this picture. 😃 I think Connor liked what he saw and will be very happy here if this is the college he decides to attend.

So, yes, it was a marvelous getaway, and the drive there and back went much, much smoother than any of us had expected, all things (and ages!) considered. But I have to say . . . I am glad we're home. 😊

Also, a warning for those who live/vacation in log houses: BEWARE OF THE BUGS. When my family first arrived in PA, there was one wasp who appeared to have made its home inside our cabin. By Thursday, we'd spotted a total of three wasps . . . one of which my 2-yr-old sister, Sadie, stepped on accidentally while it was crawling around on the floor. Ouch. 😬 This was Sadie's first time being stung, so we waited anxiously to see if she'd break out in an allergic reaction. Thankfully, she did not, and the wasp was killed (using my shoe) and examined to check for the stinger, which was still inside it. *exhales slowly* Never a dull moment for my family! 😀

A FINAL NOTE: I plan on taking a one-week internet hiatus starting tomorrow, so comment moderation will continue to stay on until Tuesday, November 10, 2020. I do plan on publishing/responding to comments today, however. Looking forward to hearing from you! 🥰

Blessings,
Ellen S.

26 comments:

  1. Aww, how fun! Cabins + The Andy Griffith Show + S'mores = The best vacation ever! Poor Sadie, though! I've never been stung by a wasp before (thankfully XD) but bugs are definitely a downside to staying in cabins (especially spiders *shudders*). Other than that, I'm glad you had a fun time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Victoria! Yes, we had a marvelous time. It was sooooo good to get away! :)

      Delete
  2. That G.A. Henty audiobook is so good! Looks like you all had fun and enjoy your blog break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree!! Especially the scenes that continue to make me smile whenever I think of them. Lucy Kingston was instantly a favorite. xD
      Thanks, Lilly!! <3

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! This sounds like SUCH a fun trip!! So glad you were able to get a few days away ;). I'm glad Sadie is okay! I've been stung I think three times, none of which were fun experiences :(.

    ~Caleigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caleigh! It really was. :)
      Eeks! I have never been stung before . . . actually, only two of the nine kids in our family (including Sadie) have ever had such a painful encounter with a wasp/bee. *shudders*

      Delete
    2. Oh wow, that's good! Stings happening quite frequently here! 😁

      Delete
  4. Yay! I'm a native PA gal and its always fun to see people talking about my state! That cabin sounds wonderful (except for the bugs of course). That Andy Griffith picture made me really happy for some reason.
    Oh those S'mores...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now fun!! PA is a great state. :) I'm already missing it. ;)
      Aww, so glad to hear! <3

      Delete
  5. beautiful pictures! And that's such a cool cabin!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a fun trip! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly was! :)
      Thx for commenting, Jovey!

      Delete
  7. It must have been so nice to have a getaway, and at such a beautiful place, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. *nods head in fervent agreement*

      Delete
  8. Fun trip!
    Have a good break! (Really smart!)
    Hope to “see” you soon! 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend!! I'm currently working on my reply to the letter you sent, so hopefully you'll hear from me sometime this week. :)

      Delete
  9. What a fun trip! I'm sorry about your sisters bee sting! I know what that's like *winks* Wow I had no idea your brother was college age already! *laughs* I hope you have a good break, I'll miss your posts though! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this sweet comment, Autumn. :D I can hardly believe my brother is considering college choices already, either. LOL

      Delete
  10. Awwww, this looks so fun!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Going on vacation is always fun! The cabin looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! <3 It was a lovely vacation!

      Delete
  12. Hope you have a happy, productive hiatus! :)

    My family enjoys watching the Andy Griffith Show, too. But I haven't heard of the "With Lee in Virginia" audio dramas. Will definitely be checking those out! Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I did. :)
      Ooh, yes, Andy Griffith is the best! And I think you may like the audio drama. =)

      Delete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?