Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Musing #76 - Chapter 16

Andrea Carter Prescott and the Return of the Outlaws
CHAPTER 16. Go HERE to start this story from the beginning. 


The days and nights whizzed together. Three train rides and several days later, Andi opened her bleary eyes as she felt the car pull to a stop.

          “Out! Out! Everyone out! Fresno! Fresno!”
          Fresno? The word clicked. Fresno!
          Andi pulled herself to her feet, collected her meager belongings and Jared, and, laboriously pushing back the car door, stepped onto the station platform.
          She looked about her, tears flowing. I’m here! I’m here! Finally! Thanks, Lord.


          “You, lady! Stop! Stop right there!”
          The stationmaster came over and stood in front of Andi. She swallowed past her aching throat. He didn’t look happy. Not one bit.
          “Y-yes?” she said.
          “You’ve been stowing away, haven’t you?”
          “I, uh—”
          “Don’t lie to me! I saw you step from this car.” He pointed an accusing finger at her. “Pay me what you owe for a train ride. No one travels for free on this train.”
          “I—I don’t have the money.”
          “Well, that’s obvious.” He chuckled dryly. “Very well; this is a case for the police.”
          “Police?” Andi’s head felt heavy. Her throat throbbed. Any more of this, and I’m sure I’ll swoon.
          She already felt so sick, both inside and outside. Why couldn’t this man see that?
          “Yep, the police.” He grabbed her arm. “C’mon.”

***


          The stationmaster pulled Andi into the sheriff’s office, ignoring her cries, “You don’t know who I am!” Every time she went to say her name, he cut her off.
“You can tell it all to the police,” he told her.
She held Jared tightly and prayed with all the might she possessed.
          “Sheriff Tate!”
          “Yes?” The sheriff looked up from his work.
          “Got a stowaway here. Refused to pay her way.”
          The stationmaster shoved Andi forward. She caught herself on a chair and glanced at the sheriff. He looked absolutely worn out with worry. I wonder why?    
          The sheriff didnt even glance her way. He shook his head at the stationmaster. “Not now, Ezekiel. The Carters and I are still trying to figure out where Andi went off to.” He rubbed his temples. “This thing is weighing on me somethin’ awful. Taking care of little ol’ stowaways just doesn’t seem to matter right about now.”
          “Any clues for the case yet?”
          “None whatsoever. Riley is completely beside himself with fear. They’re all home now, refreshing their horses and packing up again. Oh, if we only we knew where Andi went off to!” He sighed. “I can hardly think straight. All we’ve done is search, search, search. It’ll be five months tomorrow that she went missing.”
          “I’m sorry, sir. Here’s the stowaway. Do what you want with her. I’m off.”
          He turned on his heel and stalked out of the office.
          Sheriff Tate returned to his books, notes, and maps a moment, then finally looked up at Andi. She was staring right back at him.
          Will he recognize me?
          “Sh-sheriff Tate?” She hesitated, then out launched, “It’s me.”
          The sheriff was staring at her with an unreadable expression. His eyes grew wide. “Andi?”
          She nodded.
          “You-you’re the stowaway?”
          Another nod.
          “But…but how?”
          The world was beginning to spin. Her fever, the excitement, the lack of sleep, and the realization that she was finally found swept over Andi in an overwhelming wave.
She dropped into the chair in a dead faint.

What do you think happens next? Feel free to leave your guesses in the comments below!



3 comments:

  1. BookWorm3,000July 31, 2019

    I'm so glad she's back at Fresno now! :-) I'm excited for when she sees Riley and her family! :-)
    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJuly 31, 2019

    Good book.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, looking forward to seeing the conclusion! Though, it will be sad that it's over.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?