Thursday, July 25, 2019

Musing #70 - Chapter 10


Andrea Carter Prescott and the Return of the Outlaws
CHAPTER 10. Go HERE to start this story from the beginning. 


“After those women!” shrieked Benita, and the mob gathered around her swarmed forward.
          Run! Andi’s mind shouted, and she forced her heavy feet into a blind run, no longer caring to be silent. In her arms, Jared wailed his unhappiness.
          Andi followed Lily’s auburn braid until finally she caught up with her, and the two ran together. When Lily stumbled, Andi held her up. Then Lily’s skirt caught on a bush, and together they yanked it free, not even noticing when it tore.
          But when Andi’s braid snagged on the same bush, they couldn’t get her loose. Panic and despair set in almost immediately. Andi practically threw Jared into Lily’s arms and then hacked at her braid with her dull knife. She couldn’t think straight.
          “Take off your ribbon and undo the braid!” Lily cried, sobbing.
          Too late. Andi knew they had no time to wait for her to undo her braid. The bandits’ shouts and footsteps were coming dangerously close. If they waited for her, they’d never escape.
          In that moment, Andi made her choice.


          She yanked off her bag and thrust it at Lily. With tears choking her voice and cascading down her cheeks, she said, “Run, Lily. Run to safety. Take my son with you, and…and find Riley. Tell him where I am.”
          Lily’s eyes showed her fright and reluctance. It was clear she didn’t want to obey, but it was also clear that she knew it was the best choice.
“I will, Andi,” she blubbered, “I will.” Then she turned tail and ran.
          Andi broke down into sobs. I lost. Her heart felt like a million daggers were tearing it apart. I’m not free. I’m still stuck with these outlaws. And now my son is gone.
          Another thought made her groan. What have I done? I gave Jared to Lily without a thought. I know nothing about Lily’s family, or her background. My mind was a mess. All I cared about was the idea of giving up my son to Benita.
          Andi’s knees were like water. They couldn’t hold her up. She dropped to the ground and buried her face into her arms. Her braid, still caught on the bush, gave a painful yank, but she hardly noticed. Did I do the right thing? Oh, God—
          Fingers closed around her wrist, and Andi didn’t fight them. She watched through bleary eyes as Vega tore her braid from the bush. Then he pulled her to her feet.
          “Go after Lily,” he barked to several men, and they ran off.
          “Come, chica,” Vega hissed, returning his attention to Andi. He dragged her along behind him as he set off at a brisk walk. “You have much explaining to do.”

***

          It took no more than five minutes to stride back to camp. All the while Andi prayed hard for Lily and Jared’s health and safety, her own safety, and guidance for Riley to find her.
          I know, Lord, that I prayed “May Your will be done,” but, oh, God, it’s so complicated! I’m so scared. Will I ever see Jared or Riley again?
          By the time Vega and Andi reached Benita’s cabin, Andi was trembling with fright, for with each footfall Vega’s grip grew tighter and his expression more angry and wicked.
          He pulled Andi into the cabin, releasing her at last once the door had slammed shut.
          She stood, head bowed and hands clasped, while Benita and Vega conversed in frantic whispers.
          Finally, Benita turned upon Andi, her black eyes sparking in wrath. “How dare you run away!” she sputtered in Spanish. “Where is your baby? Where? What about Lily? Where is she?”
          “Hopefully safely away,” Andi returned.
          Benita cried out in anger, but Vega laid a consoling hand on her arm. “Lily knows nothing of these woods. I sent men for her, and I am certain she will be found. The baby, also.”
          “Are you quite sure of this?” Benita questioned.
          “Yes, indeed. They’ll no doubt be here by morning.”
          “I like the way you think, jefe,” Benita said, calmed down. “Let’s retire for the night, as we have a long journey ahead of us. You know we shall leave the minute Lily and the baby return and our final recruits arrive.”
          She turned to Andi and flicked a hand. “You, follow me.”


What do you think happens next? Feel free to leave your guesses in the comments below!


1 comment:

  1. BookWorm3,000July 25, 2019

    I wonder what happens next! :-)
    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?