Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Musing #68 - Chapter 8

Andrea Carter Prescott and the Return of the Outlaws
CHAPTER 8. Go HERE to start this story from the beginning.


Andi gave the shelf a final sweep with her cleaning rag.
          
          “I’m done,” she told Benita.

          Benita nodded curtly. “Bueno. Now, there is someone here to see me. Take the rags you have used and clean them. I had water brought while you were busy.”
          “Yes’m.”

          Andi took the rags Benita handed to her and left the cabin. No sooner did she round the corner than she stopped.

          Were those distinct whispers coming from inside? They carried clearly to her ear, and she listened intently.


          “Andrea is not pregnant, Benita.”
          Andi gasped. She peeked through the open window. The woman who’d watched her while she’d scrubbed dishes stood talking with Benita.
          Being just as fluent in Spanish as Benita and her companion were, Andi ducked beneath the window to continue to listen.
          “You did what I asked you to?” Benita asked.
          “I did. I followed her every action very carefully. I also noticed that when she bent to scour the cooking pot, something moved under her blouse, and she pushed it up with her hand.”
          Andi clapped a hand over her mouth to keep from screaming. They’ve uncovered my secret! Lily’s wad of fabric was still up Andi’s blouse. No, no, no!
          “Is there anything else, Sofia?” Benita wanted to know.
          “The way she carried herself,” the woman named Sofia answered. “Also, she’s so close to her time she should have been groaning with pain or holding up her stomach—not shoving it up—and her face really gives it all away. Benita, she’s had her kid and is hiding it somewhere in her cabin. I’m sure of it.”
          “Then when she’s not looking, investigate. If you find the baby, bring it to me.” Benita sounded angry. “Andrea thinks she’s so clever. I am glad Vega pointed out that Lily was doing Andrea’s work this morning. And who couldn’t miss the baby’s cry from the cabin? Si, I believe Andrea is indeed being very secretive.”
          Andi’s heart pounded in her ears. Her hands became clammy. She felt sick, sicker than at any other time in her life.
          She can’t have my baby! Riley will not come in time; I have to handle this myself.
          After breathing a quick prayer for courage and speed, Andi rose and raced to her cabin. A plan was taking shape in her mind, and she had no time to waste.

What do you think happens next? Feel free to leave your guesses in the comments below!


2 comments:

  1. BookWorm3,000July 23, 2019

    It's so good! :-) That chapter was short, maybe you could go ahead and post the next one today... ;-) LOL
    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Hannah - I'm thrilled to know you're enjoying this story! :-)

      Delete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?