Thursday, September 12, 2019

Musing #85 - "Freedom" by Faith Potts

Guys, this book . . . I was blown away. Like, completely, fully, undeniably blown away. Even now, the scenes are all vivid in my mind. This book is. so. good.
Before I launch into my review, I'll go ahead and be honest: I had my doubts from the very moment I started reading Freedom for, as all of you know by now, romance is a huge "no-no" for me - and this book seemed to have been labeled in that dreaded genre. Besides that, suicide is a heavy topic, and I was unsure of just how deep author Faith Potts was planning to go with it.
I stand corrected.
This book - I needed it. Needed to read it; needed to have my eyes opened; needed to have my heart torn to shreds so that, for the first time, I could really and truly give suicide some deep thought . . . and pray for all those who struggle with it. 
I also needed the goofy mental picture that I got as I visualized Alex and James (the two main characters) riding in the sit-and-shop cart, Alex perched on a series of cheap pillows. (That was definitely one of my favorite scenes!) 
There were a couple of places where I became a tad bit iffy (a guy asking a girl to go on a date with him is a little out of my comfort zone), but, thankfully, these characters did not tumble overboard in their love for one another. Through the whole book, there were only two noted kisses on the lips - one after engagement, and one after marriage; before that, there were embraces and pecks on the hair, cheeks, and forehead. And the ending . . . ah! the ending! *happy sigh* . . . was so sweet.
To sum it all up:
This book was gory, but it was also fun. It was open. It was real. I give it a full 5 stars, and I look forward to a sequel. 

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, I really enjoyed "Freedom"! ❤

      Delete
  2. Help! One of my best friends in a family of 5 kids mom has excruciating migraines they never go away. She is like another mom to me. Their family homeschool and they are seriously thinking about sending their kids to public school. Their 6 and 4 year old are having a hard time with never getting to talk to their mama that much.
    1 PLEASE PRAY!!!!!!!! Their family is the most Christan families I have ever known.
    2 Please give us ideas on how to bless them. They have a 14 year old boy, 12 year old daughter, 6 year old boy, 4 year old girl and a 6 month old girl. We are bringing them a lot of food and are trying to get the mom into Mayo clinic. [She doesn't want people to make to big a deal over her]
    Please pray and give us ideas how to bless them. They are having a really hard time.
    God bless,
    Saved

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! So glad you read and enjoyed it, Ellie! We will have to discuss it on Sunday *excited squeal*!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can hardly wait to talk with you for the first time ever this Sunday!!! ❤❤❤

      Delete
    2. Do you guys know each other???

      Delete
  4. SOunds like a good book.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?