Monday, June 17, 2019

Musing #55 - "Elsie Dinsmore," a Weekly Book Review

Review #4 for the Elsie Dinsmore series of books. I tried to get a back-cover summary for this review, but the summary I found on Amazon was very inaccurate, so I'm writing this review entirely on my own. 

Book 4: "Elsie's Womanhood"

Secrets. Trials. Marriage. New babies. A trip to Europe. Illness. War.
These topics make up the fourth book of the Elsie Dinsmore series: Elsie's Womanhood. Before Elsie and Edward's wedding, there are some events, but I plan not to discuss those in this review. Instead, I prefer to go on and express my thoughts upon their married years, because I believe that this time was the high point of the book. Besides that, there was one thing that really bothered me throughout the latter portion of the book, and I feel it should be addressed.


I have thoroughly enjoyed reading and rereading this enthralling story, and I must say that I am very pleased with the husband Elsie was given. Kind, caring, protective, and affectionate in every way, Mr. Edward Travilla is quite devoted to his wife. My delight also exists amongst all the baby-blessings they have during the time of this book; the twists, turns, and happy endings; and, finally, the beautiful closing Martha Finley uses to wrap up Elsie's Womanhood.
However, what bugged me is that, while Elsie and Edward are devoted to one another, Elsie is still equally devoted to her father. She seems to put his opinion before her own husband's, and she scarcely ever speaks without mentioning her papa's name. Right before Elsie's wedding, Mr. Dinsmore is talking to her in her room, and Edward asks if he can come in; to this question, Mr. Dinsmore answers, "'Yes, Travilla. . .you have now an equal right with me.'" Seriously? Edward is the groom!!! His right is unarguably grander than Horace Dinsmore's! Granted, however, this paragraph does follow immediately after Mr. Dinsmore's words:

Travilla thought his [right] was superior, or would be after the ceremony, but generously refrained from saying so. And had Mr. Dinsmore been questioned on the subject, he could not have asserted that that it had never occurred to him that Mr. Allison had an equal right with himself in Rose. But few people are entirely consistent. 

But even with this paragraph, Horace Dinsmore's declaration remains, and I don't like it . . . especially because Mr. Dinsmore continues to come in between Elsie and Edward. For example, when the newlywedded couple are on their honeymoon, Horace Dinsmore rudely intrudes by writing a letter, inquiring about when they are coming home, as he misses his daughter. And when Elsie and Edward have their first baby, Edward admonishes his wife not to carry their child for fear the girl will injure her mother's health, but Elsie does not take his wishes seriously until Horace Dinsmore later repeats the order. Then she says, "'I will try to follow out your wishes, papa.'"
Well, sorry, but Elsie has left her papa, and Edward has left his mother. The two are now  joined together as one flesh, and Elsie's first right is now to her husband. Not to her father. Therefore, these kinds of feats, which are performed over and over again throughout the book, don't settle well with me.
Other than this, however, the book made for a really good read, and my rating is 4 stars. 

8 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 17, 2019

    Good review, Ellen. I really should read these books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BookWorm3,000June 17, 2019

    I JUST GOT THE "Elsie Dinsmore" COLLECTION ON Kindle FOR MY BIRTHDAY A WHILE BACK!!!!!!!!!!! I'm on the fourth chapter of the first book! :-)
    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 18, 2019

    I agree, the same thing has bugged me about the series. Granted, Elsie will always be Horace's daughter, but there is a point when womanhood, and the role of wife should move to the front in Elsie's character development.
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely, Emily; well said! :-)

      Delete
  4. I agree that the dad in the Elsie books is weirdly controlling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousMay 03, 2022

    Hi! Anaiah here. I have read all the Elsie Dinsmore books twice, and overall they're super good. I agree with you Ellen! I also don't like the racism in the book. Yes, she and her family are super nice to the slaves, but (I don't remember which of the books, I think the 2nd or 3rd), a dying slave asks Elsie if she'll (the slave) go to heaven, and Elsie says that "Of coarse!" but she would be white.🤷‍♀️ !!! ok? That's like saying that dark-skinned people aren't as good as white. Anyways I didn't really like that... But the rest is super good! And I like the Christian purity shown in this book. Thanks :)

    -Anaiah B.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?