Monday, March 4, 2019

Musing #30 - I Have To . . . Or I Get To?

A valuable lesson for each and every one of us to learn is the power of "perspective." As we attend those dull, daily duties of every day life, we may tend to grumble and feel that life is just plain . . . unfair
"I have to wash these dishes."
"I have to clean this table."
"I have to sweep this floor."
. . . and on and on the list goes.


Looking at our tasks this way gives us a very grumpy attitude. We dawdle through our chores, the whole time sighing and complaining (whether mentally or aloud). We think just oh, how easy it would be, if this or that was removed from our lives. 
Question: Does this method make you feel good?
Answer: Nope, it does not.
Another Question: Why?
Answer: Because I know this is not right. I know this is not what Jesus did, when He was sent to this earth to serve.

So, how about changing this method? How about going through each moment of this life with the thought, "I don't have to; I get to - for Jesus."
Let's take those three examples from earlier and change that one word - that dreadful "have" - to "get."
"I get to wash these dishes." 
"I get to clean this table."
"I get to sweep this floor."

And now read these next few sentences, and notice where I moved that have.
"I get to wash these dishes. I'm thankful that I have beautiful dishes off which I eat, and I have soap and water with which to wash." 
"I get to clean this table. I'm thankful that I have sweet little siblings healthy enough to paint and draw and make messes."
"I get to sweep this floor. I'm thankful I have the hands and broom [or vacuum] necessary for this process."
In this way, we are using that "have" to be grateful for things amidst the otherwise troublesome duties of life. God didn't say it would be easy to serve cheerfully; it's a choice we must make, just like Jesus did. And during it all, we can and are, indeed, quite directed to be thankful. 

"Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." (1 Thessalonians 5:16)

So, what about you? Are you willing to undertake the "I don't have to, I get to" challenge? I bid you, friends, try it for a 24 hour period, and see how God uses it :-). You may just be surprised!

"For the Son of Man came not to be served, but to serve, and to give His Life as a Ransom for many." (Matthew 20:28; italics mine)

5 comments:

  1. BookWorm3,000March 04, 2019

    Thanks for this post!
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post, Ellen!! This one really got me thinking!! I am the kind of person that complains about doing my chores and I am trying to work on not doing that. I think I will follow your advice, and try to not complain anymore, and instead, thank God that I get to do my chores and that I am able to do them.
    Again, great post!!
    -Jessalyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Ellen - I will take your challenge. I "get" to do this. One's perspective changes it all doesn't it? Thanks for this devotion, wise words. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I struggle with this a lot, thanks for the perspective change!
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. Over the past year (2018) I learned several big lessons. One of them was fixing up our new house. At first, fixing up the new house was fun, but after a while it got boring. This post is a reminder I get to live in a fixer-upper house.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?