Friday, March 8, 2019

Musing #32 - A Little Note of Encouragement

Hi, friends! I was recently given a very precious piece of my mother's work - the hymn and sweet lettering found in the above picture.

As you can see, the hymn is "Jesus, I am Resting, Resting," and the message my mom chose to letter was: "Keep me ever trusting." Around the sides she drew and colored beautiful flowers, leaves, and borders. 
I'll admit it . . . it's hard to just trust. It's hard to see all that goes on around us and know we have absolutely no control over anything. It's like going swimming in a pool, and, tired out and trying to stand up, feeling nothing but water beneath our feet. There is no one nearby to save us, and, at first, we panic. We kick and thrash and cry out.
But then our hands find the wall, and we hang on tight. We know that, as long as our hands are upon this sturdy wall, we're safe. 
Yes, the "pool water" is an example of the hard circumstances we all experience, and the "wall of the pool" is an example of the Stronghold to which we all can cling, the steady Rock whom we know will always, always be here for us. He's holding us in His hands, and all we have to do is trust in Him - to hang on, and know He's got this. All this. He is our source of joy, of comfort, of healing. 
So why are we thrashing, when the wall is right here?
Let go of the mess you're in. Instead, reach out and take hold of Jesus; He's got you right here, right now. Your circumstances may not change, but, with Him on your side, the water cannot sweep you under. The current will roar and beat your back, but sweet surrender, and the blessed assurance that Jesus has you in His hands, greatly lessens the heavy load you're carrying.
Whatever you're going through, He knows about.
And He loves you.

"I love you, O LORD, my strength. The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in Whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call upon the LORD, Who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies . . . He sent from on high, He took me; He drew me out of many waters . . . He brought me out into a broad place; He rescued me, because He delighted in me." PSALM 18:1-3, 16, 19

"For the righteous will never be moved; he will be remembered forever. He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD. His heart is steady; he will not be afraid, until he looks in triumph on his adversaries." PSALM 112:6-8

"So when you're on your knees and answers seem so far away,
You're not alone; stop holding on and just be held."
- "JUST BE HELD" by Casting Crowns

2 comments:

  1. BookWorm3,000March 08, 2019

    Thanks for this post, Ellen. I love the song "Jesus I am Resting, Resting"; we sing it at our church.
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great hymn!

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?