Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Musing #9 - "In His Hands" Chapter 4

"In His Hands" consists of seven chapters, so there'll be a chapter today, a chapter this Thursday, a chapter next Tuesday, and the final chapter on the Thursday of the same week. The following Tuesday I'll share something new :-).
Enjoy!




Chapter 4





“Eliza!” I whirled on my sister. Fear made my voice harsh. “Where’s Rosie?”

“How would I know?” Eliza’s eyes were huge half-dollars in her small, pale face. She clenched her hands around the stems of her fresh-picked bouquet.

“Well, don’t just stand there!” I threw my flowers to the ground and picked up the heavy skirts of my travelling dress. “We’ve gotta find her.”



Thus, the search began. Eliza and I wandered about, calling Rosie’s name as loudly as we could.

The whole while, my heart was beating hard and fast. My head spun. She is your responsibility, a little voice chanted over and over. I blinked, and several tears sneaked down my cheeks. I’ve failed miserably in my responsibility. I’m sorry, Mama. I’m sorry, Pa. I’m not the reliable—

“Sue! Sue! There! I’ve found her!” Eliza screamed, pointing.
            The two of us bolted.



As we approached our little sister, my mouth fell open. Rosie sat in front of a thicket. Her flowers lay in squished mounds about her. On seeing me, she held out her arms and wailed, “Help me, Sue.”

“Oh, Rosie.” I dropped down and wrapped my arms around her. “Thank God we’ve found you.” I hugged her tight, feeling nothing but relief now that we’d found her. Not even anger at her for running off was considered. After all, that mishap really was my fault, not hers.

“My skirt,” Rosie whimpered.

“What about it?” I looked. “Oh, it’s caught in the thicket. Don’t worry, sweetie. Big sister will have it out in a jiffy.”

“Better hurry,” Eliza said. Her voice was anxious, and she bit her lip. “We don’t want to be left behind.”
            Eliza’s warning, along with the sudden, shrill whistle of the train, sped up my fingers. In less than a minute, Rosie was free, but a jagged tear reached from the hem of her skirt to the knee.

“I’ll sew that up later,” I told her. “For now…”

I helped Rosie stand, then hoisted her onto my hip. Looking straight into her eyes, I said, “You’re staying with me.”
           She seemed all too content to comply. She rested her head on my shoulder, a single, limp flower hanging from one hand.

“Let’s go,” Eliza urged.

Whoot! Whoot!

“The whistle is blowing again!” Eliza cried. “C’mon!”
            We ran as if our lives depended upon it. Tearing pain ripped through my side. Our midday meal was too recent, and Rosie’s deadweight added to my discomfort. Panting heavily, I lagged behind Eliza.

“Put Rosie down,” Eliza suggested, running ahead. “She’s a fast runner. Just let her hold onto your hand.”

I didn’t want to, but I didn’t see any other alternative. I set Rosie down, slid my hand into hers, and instructed her to hold on. Together, we followed Eliza.

We ran like the wind, but our efforts proved worthless. We reached the tracks in time to see the last car of the train chugging off.

“No, no.” I whispered, shaking my head. “No, no, no.”

I slumped to the ground.

Where’s your pride and confidence now, Susan? a little voice taunted.

I buried my face in my knees and struggled to hold back the sudden tears that’d welled up in my chest.

We’re stranded.

In His Hands © 2018 Ellen Senechal 


GO TO CHAPTER 5>>>>

10 comments:

  1. Love your writing style!!
    -Brooklyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brooklyne! I love writing for God's glory!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Ellie, this is awesome yet terrible. I need more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, Ellen! :D I can't wait to find out what happens next!
    Please keep writing! :D
    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan to, Hannah, if it's God's Will :-). Thank you so much for your encouragement and support! I'm glad you're enjoying the story :-).

      Delete
  4. How many pages long is your book, Ellen? This is incredible! Bravo, your writing style is superb!
    ~Izzy West

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting, Izzy!
      My book is 57 pages long. If it's in accordance with God's Will, I would love to someday expand this story and submit it to a publisher. Thus, if you have any feedback or ideas you'd like to supply, by all means feel free to let me know! :-)

      ~Ellen

      Delete
    2. Oh, cool, thank you!

      Delete
    3. Oh, and another thing, how do you get "comment approval" for your blog, so you have to approve the comment before it's published? I'd like to do that on my blog, but don't really know how :)

      Delete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?