Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Book Review // Stop the Rain by Kassie Angle



BACK-COVER SUMMARY:

He left his entire world in Iraq. So why did the war follow him home?
Harley Keane and his best friend Nigel were just kids when 9/11 rocked their world and changed their lives forever. When they’re finally old enough to join the Army, all their childhood dreams seem about to come true. But war wasn’t supposed to be like this. A kid’s dream isn’t supposed to become a living nightmare. Fellow soldiers aren’t supposed to bleed out in front of your eyes.
Back home, safe and unwounded, Harley feels anything but. Why would God spare him when so many others were taken? Why won’t the nightmares stop, even when he’s awake? And how long can he hide the truth that threatens everything he has left? When Harley’s invisible scars refuse to stay hidden, will he let anyone close enough to help? And how do you go on with life when “okay” isn’t okay at all?

MY REVIEW:
5+/5 stars

I read this book in two days and have been thinking about it longer than that. Even now, I'm still struggling to find the words that would adequately describe the impact Stop the Rain has made on my life.
This book HURT like few other books I've read ever have (or probably ever will). At times I thought for sure I'd begin crying, which is something I don't usually experience in my reading journey. And now I've reached the end of the book, and my heart's still broken, seeing a trampoline reminds me only of Harley and Nigel, and I . . . won't be the same for a while. But that's okay; this novel was worth it. <33
Harley's story, although at first it started off slow and his own crying fits were constant and confusing, soon wrapped itself around my heart and didn't let go. Especially when I reminded myself partway through that he wasn't even twenty years old yet.
The characters--each and every one of them--were a.m.a.z.i.n.g. Sgt. Rhys, Keith Hayes, Russell, Trey, Levi, Hawkins, Paul, Savannah, & Jakob Carter . . . each with their own story and the longing to reach through to Harley, no matter how rough he may have been with them. (and yes, there were moments when I wanted to shake Harley and say, "These people are looking out for you! why are you acting so ungrateful?" but it made their patience and care for him all the more evident. <3)
So, yes, Stop the Rain has officially entered my very-most-favorites shelf. Excuse me while I go scream to the end of the earth how much I loved this novel by Kassie Angle. 6+ stars if I could.
Due to some violence + scenes of death + the weighty topic of PTSD, however, I wouldn't recommend this to young or sensitive readers.
I look forward to more by this author! =)

PLACES TO FIND YOUR COPY OF STOP THE RAIN:
Amazon (for ebook)|| Goodreads                  
Have you read this one yet? Ever cried over a book before? Comment below! <3

Blessings,
Ellen S.

14 comments:

  1. I plan on reading this soon, but I've been so busy doing other things. Have you read "Tattered Wings"? I read that one and it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I bought the Kindle edition of TW when it went on sale after the Five Fall Favorites party last year. It was good, but not really my cup of tea. 😊

      Delete
  2. I’m so glad you liked the book Ellie!
    Abby can’t stop raving to me about it 😂😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great! Hope you can read it at some point. 😄

      Delete
  3. I love this book so so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds so good!Believe it or not... it sound a lot like a book plan I have! I'm like,"Wow!!" I want to read it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome, Kylie Nancy!! Let me know if you read it; I'd love to hear your thoughts. 😊

      Delete
  5. This book is so amazing! ❤️ And yes, I cried while reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. ❤️ I loved your review for StR on Goodreads!!

      Delete
  6. Missing the Monday musings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend. I'm missing them too. :) Hoping to catch up in February . . . which means a post this upcoming Monday. ;)

      Delete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?