Friday, August 16, 2019

Musing #80 - God is Good

I kiss Mom good-bye and slip into my family's garage, my heart light with the prospect of enjoying another long, pleasant walk through the neighborhood. In one easy motion I slide my feet into a pair of flip-flops and start out.
Ah, yes. As I exit the garage, thrill shoots through me. I might take my walks daily, in the same areas each time, but somehow it just never grows old. The beauty of God's creation is always there.


I begin to devour the sidewalk in great strides, my mind, like always, at work, but my eyes feasting only upon the glory of my surroundings. Grass grows, green and fresh, on either side of me. Trees stand tall, their boughs bending beneath the weight of so many leaves. A single flower seems to shine as it opens its gorgeous, creamy-white petals towards me. Soft breezes touch my cheeks and play with my hair. A swallowtail flutters nearby, its dainty, delicate wings sweeping the grass blades. 
I suck in a contented breath. Thank You, Lord.
His creation is so amazing. And He is so good.
Fast forward an hour later, when my family and I are gathered in the parking lot at our local hospital. Definitly not the place any of us had dreamed we'd be that morning. But after my one-year-old sister suddenly broke into what looked like a severe alergic reaction, my mom thought the safest place for her would be only a few yards away from the emergency room. So, there we all were, wondering what was going to happen next and praying for healing. 
Thankfully, with a dose of benadryl in her, my sister's reaction did not progress, but instead slowly faded away until we felt confident enough to leave the hospital parking lot and go home. 
While we were still in the parking lot, preparing to leave, I peeked out my window, and a bumper sticker stuck to the back of a close vehicle caught my attention: "All the time . . . God is good." 
That bumper sticker was on my mind all the way home. Whose was it? Did it belong to somoene who was in the middle of major surgery or fighting a losing battle with cancer? Or did it belong to someone who worked at the hospital? Or to someone who was visiting a sick loved one? Whatever the case, I was thankful to see the owner clinging to that kind of truth. 
It's easy to say "God is good" when life is flowing by, sweet and peaceful - like the walk I took just this morning. It might be harder to say the words if suddenly our lives are turned upside-down . . . like if my baby sister's alergic reaction had progressed and resulted in a trip to the emergency room.
Yet, no matter what, God is good.
Whatever you may be facing today, friends, I pray that God is helping you to rest in His abundant love and promises. He is faithful, and He will never let you go.
In both the hard and the easy of life, God is good.

(To listen to a great song called "You are Good" by Nichole Nordeman, click HERE.)

11 comments:

  1. Yes, God is good! There is a song called 'God is Good All the Time'. Have you ever heard it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I haven't.
      The two songs I really like that mention God's goodness is the song I linked to in the post above, as well as "Even If" by Kutless. :-)

      Delete
    2. "Even If" is a good song!☺

      Delete
    3. "Even then" is another good song. I can't remember who it is though..

      Delete
    4. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. God is GOOD! My 5 year old brother with no medical history was really close to an asthma attack. The Lord got us into the doc in 30 min and we where able to keep him from getting an attack! Thank you Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is good! So thankful He gave me YOU❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm so very thankful for you and all you do for this family. Your constant encouragement is such a blessing to me. Love you lots, Mom! ❤

      Delete
  4. Hi Ellie! so sorry I haven't talked in a while, I've been super busy! i'll try to write soon....just wanted to let you know that this post gave me such encouragement!!! Keep honoring the Lord! I'm so glad little one is okay!;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Caleigh; yes, we are so thankful! ❤

      Delete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?