Monday, September 26, 2022

Monday Musings // Volunteer Work, Pumpkin Cookies, Pedal Boats, & the Zoo

Good morning, all! So, no promises, but I would like to try to do a Monday Musings post every other week. 

Midway through the month (and almost a full week after my brother, Luke, and I walked 22 miles), Luke, Marah, and I served at a western-themed benefit dinner hosted by our church. Slicked up in jeans (or, in Marah's and my case, jean skirts), white button-up shirts, boots, and bandanas, we poured drinks, took orders, served food, and chatted with the other volunteers. It was a lot of fun and a great opportunity for us to come out to serve, support a good cause, and shine Christ's light! Of course, as I said already, it was about a week after Luke and I had walked 22 miles, so the blister on my heel was nearly rubbed raw by my boot by the time the evening was over, but that detracted only minimally from my enjoyment.

Luke, Marah, and me.
The next day (Saturday), my family enjoyed a morning out pedal boating, fishing, playing at the park, and watching Fern chase after a goose (that last was pretty funny 😂). We also tangled with a wasps' nest (*shudders*) and Mom and Ruby got stung. Thankfully, although it was the first time either one of them had ever been stung by a wasp, neither displayed any signs of being allergic. We got them an ice pack and "sting relief" pads and then headed home, picking up apple cider slushies from a local farm on the way.


My beautiful mama 💜



That same afternoon, we again made snacks for the fellowship period at our church. Mom made pumpkin bread, Marah sugar cookies, Lucy blueberry muffins, and me pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (or "pillows," as my siblings like to call them). Yum.


These cookies are one of my siblings' favorite seasonal treats. They also won me first place at our county fair a couple years back. If you would like to try them, go HERE for the recipe (note: the only thing I change about the recipe is that I use one cup of chocolate chips instead of two).

A week and a midterm exam (for me) later, we went to the zoo, which was lots of fun! We hadn't been there in six years, and the last time we went it was super hot; this time, we chose a cooler day. How amazing to read about and observe more of God's masterful and unique handiwork! Orangutans, panda bears, cheetahs, tigers, rare and exotic birds, fish, and plants . . .  



Well, that is it for now, but I hope to come back with another post in a couple weeks, so stay tuned!

Did you enjoy reading this post? Do you plan to try making a batch of pumpkin pillows? When was the last time you went to the zoo? Comment below!

Not just surviving, 

Ellen S.

2 comments:

  1. Laura DannerOctober 03, 2022

    Those cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were pretty tasty, according to my siblings :D

      Delete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?