Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Fun Ideas for the Holidays!!

So, my blogger friend, Laura, @ Flowers in My Basket shared some amazing gift ideas on her blog last week; be sure to check out her post HERE. Inspired, I decided to share with y'all a few  of my family's favorite holiday treats - gifts, recipes, etc. Enjoy!


 This idea came from an IG post Mom saw a couple years ago. Fill a basket with chips and soda, stick in a sign, and set it on your porch for all those who deliver to your home. It's SO cool to see the deliverymen carry up a package, then return to his truck with a bag of chips and/or a can of soda in hand. Our first taker this year was our Papa John's pizza deliverer. ;-) The second and third were two men doing UPS deliveries. 

Peppermint Chex mix!!! My family LOVES this treat. It's an easy recipe that makes for a great family project! 
First, have several family members open and peel a whole bag of the "Peppermint Hershey's Kisses," while another ‎member measures out five cups of Chex rice cereal into a bowl. Put one cup powder sugar in a bag, and you can crush candy canes and add those too if you want (we do). Place the Kisses in a bowl and stick it in the microwave for 45 seconds, pull it out, stir, and put back in for another 15 seconds. Now, slide it out and pour the contents over your bowl of Chex. Stir it all in, until every Chex piece is covered. Here comes the need for teamwork. Have someone (in my case, my wonderful younger siblings) hold open the bag of sugar while you dump in the cereal. Seal the bag (make sure there's air inside!) and SHAKE! Once it's all thoroughly covered, dump it all into a bowl and ENJOY!

Shaking the sugar and Chex together (my favorite part)!

Our morning Advent book. :-)

 Mm! Sweet-smelling potpourri. We have three (no, four) new neighbors this year, so, one night after stirring up fresh Chex mix and potpourri, the sibs and I ran around making deliveries. ;-) 
And . . . a totally random photo. I love my peanut butter Puffins, and of course a bowl of cereal is not complete without a lovely new book to read. :D 

Yep, just a few ideas. Which one is your favorite? Tell me in the comments below!
More photos & recipes to come!! Oh, and don't forget about the book exchange; I'm open to entries until December 15th @ 8:00 PM (EST).

14 comments:

  1. Great ideas! My mom put out bags filled with chips, leftover Halloween candy, and tracts for our delivery people. Our mail lady left us a thank-you note.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so fun, Lilly! Thanks for sharing! 😊

      Delete
  2. These are great ideas! The Chex mix looks like it tastes really good! Thanks for linking to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura! Yes, peppermint Chex mix is simply scrumptious. It has been a family favorite for quite a while now. 😊
      My pleasure!

      Delete
  3. Your family is so giving! I love the idea of putting the basket out for the delivery peeps. They definitely need some love during the Christmas season!!

    I can smellllllll that potpourri! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sweet friend! <3 Yes, we really enjoy putting out a basket of treats for all those who deliver to our home. Every night when we lug the basket inside, we check to see which chips or sodas are missing. :-)
      LOL, for sure you'll be smelling it tomorrow when you and your sisters drop by for a morning of tea and chit-chat. ;D

      Delete
  4. Hi! I haven't been on here for awhile! We did the thing with the basket of goodies for the delivery people! It is so much fun! I'll have to check out the check mix recipe! It sounds delicious!!
    ~Caleigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caleigh!! Yes, TONS of fun!!
      Ooh, you definitely should try the Chex mix recipe! ;D
      Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  5. Happy blog birthday Ellen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved this post!!! Great job!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosy! :D
      To God be the glory!

      Delete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?