Friday, November 15, 2019

Reasons Why You Should and Should Not Follow My Blog

Recently I’ve noticed something going around on the blogosphere that I feel should be addressed, and that’s the subject of followers. Too many people come on and follow a blog for the wrong reasons. Sometimes they’ll do it so that you will come and check out their blog. Then, when you don’t play the game, you’re unfollowed. Or what about those who follow your blog and constantly compare themselves to you? Rather than being built up by the content that you post, they’re torn down.
Thus, this post, titled “Reasons Why You Should and Should Not Follow My Blog.” You may not agree with everything I share in this post, but that’s all right. We’re each entitled to our own thoughts and opinions, and I respect that. In the same way, please respect what I believe. If you’re of the same opinion as me, that’s great. If not, that’s fine too.

So, let’s begin!

First:


REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD NOT FOLLOW MY BLOG



·   Your walk with Christ is hampered by what I share

·   You tear yourself down when you read my posts by comparing your writing to mine, your relationship with Christ to mine, etc.

·    You think you’re obliged to follow me because I’ve followed you or left a comment on your blog

·    You want more followers for yourself



REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD FOLLOW MY BLOG



·    Your walk with Christ is strengthened by what I share

·    You’re encouraged by the content on this blog

·    You want to stay updated on the blogger’s new baby sister, or on the projects she’s currently at work upon (😊)

·    A friend has recommended following my blog

·    You’ve prayed, you’ve thought, and you’ve stalked me for a bit, finally deciding that yes, you’d like to follow me


So here are the reasons I could think of. If you have any more you’d like to offer for either section (should not or should), be sure and comment below. 
Now this is not to say that I don’t want to find other bloggers out there. I don’t mean that at all. Actually, I love encouraging new bloggers, dropping comments, and adding blogs to my follower’s list. But instead of following me for the wrong reason, I’d prefer that the blogger would simply leave a comment, telling me, “Hey, I recently started a blog. Would you mind checking it out? Here’s the link . . .” I’ve had a number of you do this, so thank you. 😊 
Okay, there’s my soapbox. Thanks so much for reading, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on this as well! You’ll find the comment section below.

Signing off for now,
Ellen

12 comments:

  1. I've notice the same thing. People follow a blog maybe 'cause they want followers, or something like that, then when you don't follow them, they un-follow you. (Just like when someone hangs out with you, then you don't do what they want you to do.) This IS something that NEEDS to be addressed for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This also led to me wondering if I should have a "follower" gadget on my blog. I took it down for a while, but realized new bloggers would have no idea how to follow.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I know, right? It's so petty . . . and annoying.
      I like what you added to the followers gadget on your sidebar! :D

      Delete
    3. I love what you added on your blog Lilly!!!!!!!

      Delete
  2. This is definitely a neat perspective! It frustrates me too when people just follow me so that I'll follow them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. Glad we're on the same page. :-)
      Thanks for commenting, Laura!

      Delete
  3. It is like a
    "Like for a Like?"
    I would totally follow your blog Ellen but I dot want to get emails all the time... And I check in on your blog everyday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that, Sawyer Marie. :-) You can follow by Blogger if you'd like (the gadget at the bottom of this blog) so, instead of emails, you'll simply be updated on your Blogger "Reading List" whenever I post. :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ellen! I am so glad I learned how to do that! Don't worry... You don't need to follow me because I follow you;)

      Delete
  4. I totally agree! I kinda maybe had that problem just a little when I first blogged. It's still exciting to get more followers but you definitely have to remember why you're following someone. Is it just so that they'll follow you back, or are you actually following them because you love their blog and want to support them and be encouraged by their posts?

    Thanks for posting this! It encouraged me and I know many others too!
    ~Brooklyn | fiveshekels.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Brooklyn. I loved hearing (well, reading) your thoughts on this. :D
      Aw, I'm so glad it blessed you! All glory be to God. <3

      Delete
  5. Hello Ellen,
    I recently found your blog and I really love everything so far! You are an inspiration and that is helping through a difficult time and get back to blogging<3 Blessings, Maria

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?