Monday, May 13, 2019

Musing #39 - Joyful Under Affliction

  As I was sitting in my bedroom this morning, my pencil busy at work upon the pages of my notebook, a sound came from outside my window - a sound that seems to always fill me with joy and peace. 

   It was the sound of a bird's song, so filled with praise to our beloved Maker. However, that was not the only sound I heard - I also heard the sound of rain coming down by the bucketful, and I wondered why the sweet little bird was out in the rain, singing, when he should be seeking shelter and keeping quiet. And then it hit me: "The bird is being joyful amidst his affliction." 
  We are instructed to make a joyful noise for our Lord (Psalm 95:1-2) and there are no "ifs" or "buts" about it. And yet, as those hard times wash over us, our hearts are swallowed up in grief, pain, anger, disappointment, etc. and the farthest things from our minds are dancing and singing. 
   I've been reading Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret recently, and the book touches me, as Hudson Taylor surely went through difficult times in his life. In each, however, he remembered his Savior, recalled Bible verses suited to his circumstances, and, mostly, prayed. No matter what happened, he kept going, clinging fast to his Savior, and trusting that the Lord's purpose for his life would be fulfilled. 
   My point? Don't let anything - not affliction, not criticism, not others' rejection - not anything come between you and God. With Him on your side, you'll always have a reason to rejoice.
   "I have said these things to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world." JOHN 16:33


3 comments:

  1. Amen, Ellen! You always have amazing, touching posts. So good <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousMay 13, 2019

    Bird's chirping is one of the best sounds to remind us of our Creator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully said Ellen, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Let's talk! Did this post inspire any musings of your own?